Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a Complaint?

You can file a complaint in writing, by telephone, via fax, online, or by visiting our office in person.

Is there a time limit?

Yes.  You have 90 days from the date of the incident to file your complaint.

Is there a cost involved?

There is no charge for using the services of the Office of Police Oversight.

Can I compliment an officer?

Yes.  Just use the online form and check "Commendation".

How do I file a Commendation?

You can file a commendation for an officer in writing, by telephone, via fax, online, or by visiting our office in person.

How is the investigation handled?

When you contact our office, details of your complaint will be assigned to an investigator for investigation.  After a thorough investigation, the ombudsman will issue a finding and you will be notified of the outcome. 

Will I know the results?

Yes.  You will be contacted in writing once the investigation is completed.

What problems does the Office of Police Oversight deal with?

If you feel an employee of the Boise Police Department or Airport Police did not treat you properly or violated a policy, you may contact our office with your concerns.

Are there matters that cannot be investigated?

The Office of Police Oversight has jurisdiction regarding Boise City & Boise Airport Police and cannot investigate complaints outside his jurisdiction.

Where can I find a Long-Term Care or Senior Ombudsman?

The  National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center  can help you locate an ombudsman, agency, or advocacy group that may assist with your long term care resident needs. In Idaho, the   Idaho Commission on Aging (ICOA)  provides an ombudsman program.

Can the Office of Police Oversight get my charges dropped?

The office cannot give legal advice or assist with a person's criminal defense.

What if I have a concern or want to ask a question?

The office is ready to answer any question a person might have about Boise law enforcement activities.  It is called an "Inquiry".

Can I access the Boise Police Department's Policy Manual?

Yes.  The Boise Police Department's policy manual is available on their website.

What if I have already filed a complaint with the Boise Police Department?

If you filed a complaint with the Boise Police Department (BPD) before contacting the Office of Police Oversight, we ask that you wait until BPD has completed their investigation into your complaint.  Once you receive notice that BPD has closed your case, and if you are not satisfied with the outcome of their investigation, you have 30 days in which to file an Appeal with the Office of Police Oversight.